A few weeks ago, we took our 5 month old baby to her first swimming experience. Of course we were very hesitant, had our reservations & questions… but after a lot of research & after asking a few moms about their experience, we decided to give it a go. Sharing a list on what we’ve packed that made it a wonderful first for our baby & the whole family too!
1. Swimwear- Of course! This goes without saying. Your baby will definitely need his trunks or her swimsuit for swimming.
2. Towel- Another basic thing to bring when swimming. Hooded towels are very convenient! You may also have a robe, it basically has the same function.
3. Floater- With so many floaters in the market, make sure you get the right floater for your baby depending on his/ her age.
4. Swim Diapers- Yes! There’s a different one for swimming. And take note, these are not substitute for your baby’s regular diapers. They are not absorbent, they do not contain urine or your baby’s poo. So why use them? It’s purpose is to contain solid waste only. You wouldn’t also want to use the regular ones that are absorbent because stored urine especially for a long time will definitely cause infection. There are disposable & washable swim diapers. Whichever works for you. We used Huggies Little Swimmers disposable diapers.
5. Sun Hat- Whether it’s sunny or raining, your baby will need protection from either. It’s best to have one! Getting sick is a no no!
6. Sunscreen- Just like you, your baby will need protection from the sun. Get the one that’s for ‘babies’, not for ‘kids’ because care different ones. We used Mustela Very High Sun Protection Lotion with SPF50.
7. Toys- Babies have a short attention span. Ready your energy, songs aaaaand some toys!
8. Food- Your baby might get hungry with all the playing, make sure their food (milk/ solid food) is ready! And bring a cover when you’re breastfeeding, I am so I did.
9. Baby Lotion/ Cream- As prescribed by the Paediatrician, use only baby lotion/ cream as needed. If you feel your baby’s skin needs to be moisturised after exposure to the sun or pool water, you will need lotion! There are ‘cooling’ ones that give baby a good feel especially that skin tends to be hot after long hours of exposure to the sun. Used Mustela Nourishing Cream with Cold Cream.
10. Small Bag- Because there’s a big bag where you put EVERYTHING, you should have a small bag where you place everything that’s on the list. This is the bag you carry around & where it’s easy to get what you need for your baby when swimming. Best if it’s water resistant.
These are just a few important things when going on a beach getaway, of course there’s a lot more in the Mommy Bag. That’s for sure! I mean, the diaper bag is as important. Should you have any questions about this or our experience please hit me up. Hope this helps & you have a blast on your trip!